Land Trust and Conservation Easements
- Develop a liaison with land trust and conservation groups in the area, including:
- Muskoka Heritage Foundation
- The mandate of the Kahshe Lake Foundation will be to acquire land or interests in land for their permanent conservation/preservation.
- Examine in detail the mechanics of establishing a Land Trust – The Kahshe Lake Foundation,
- Incorporation and Charitable Trust status;
- “tax credit” status – donations of real property;
- fundraising; and
- Initiate a program to encourage bequests from major landholders.
- Identify candidate lands for possible acquisition through the Land Trust or for establishment of permanent Conservation Easements. Priority lands would include:
- Wetlands and other environmental protection lands;
- Private lands in front of significant fish habitat areas;
- Significant steep properties/cliffs;
- Small vacant privately owned islands; and,
- Properties with historic or scenic values of importance to the lake.
- Encourage property owners to take advantage of the Managed Forest Tax Credit program, to protect large holdings from immediate development by providing tax relief.
- Investigate the process for acquiring conservation easements on lands that cannot be acquired in the short term.